Monday, May 30, 2011

Reusable Grocery Bags

I have a set of four re-usable grocery bags (or whatever you want to use them for) for sale now in my etsy shop.

I used four fun fresh produce prints for these eco-friendly bags.
Find them for sale here: 4 Yummy Totes!

Steering Wheel Cover

My Husband's car recently became my car. And, scorched by the Arizona sun- the steering wheel had begun to crack and the top was actually beginning to crumble.
So- to prevent further damage and to protect my hands from the super-hot steering wheel (Seriously- if you live in Phoenix, AZ you know- it gets HOT inside cars)

Here's the finished product:

To help grip the steering wheel and to cover the weird texture where little tiny pieces of the steering wheel came off I used cabinet lining in the inside:

 And, how it looks on the wheel:

Saturday, May 21, 2011

An Attempt at Applique

I decided to try my hand at applique for the first time- I thought I knew the general idea, so I didn't bother looking up any tips or tutorials- and somehow I survived.
These are messy, but I was happy with it for a learning experience.
They're coasters- we re-use cups for a day or two in our house, and sometimes (often) I can't remeber which cup was my daughters and which was my sons.
Not a huge problem, I'll admit-- except when one has croupe or the other had brocnhiolotis. We don't want cross contamination on those days.
So to help fix the problem I sewed up some little coasters with our initials on them- so we always remember who had the red cup and who had the yellow cup.





Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Kids Apron

Here is one of the six children's sized aprons I made to go with the hot-pads and the oven mitts

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Kids Oven Mitts

The next step in my process of making kids kitchen stuff was the oven mitts (six of them)
I had not pattern, but I drew an oversized oven mitt onto tissue paper and used that as my pattern to cut out 12 pieces of white fabric, 12 pieces of batting and 12 of the red gingham that matched the other portions of the kitchen sets
 I layered a set of white, batting and gingham, and 'quilted' through them by just sewing a few intersecting diagonal lines
 I took two pieces that were opposites of each other (in regards to which way the thumb pointed)

 And I stitched them right-sides together:

 I trimmed the excess, and turned them right side out

Then used some edging I made (exactly the same as the edging I made for the hot-pads) and hand-stitched that around the bottom edge: