Thursday, August 13, 2009

My Girls Room- The Quilt

While working on my baby girls room- I decided to make a quilt to match the rest of the bedding.
I've never really quilted before, but I thought I could figure it out... Here's how I did it.
I cut out 2.5" squares from my pink and my brown fabric. (I used a 1/4" seam allowance so the squares ended up at 2".)
I started by sewing them in sets of two. So I had a bunch of rectangles that consisted of one pink square and one brown square. Then I ironed the seams open.
Next I took two rectangles and built a square, again pressing the seams open when I finished.
When I had a big pile of squares that were 4"x4" (consisting each of two brown squares and two pink squares) I sewed a row of five of these squares together so I had a long rectangle 4"x20".
I made seven of those rows, and sewed them together, and added one more single strips of squares, so the checkerboard part of the quilt measures 10 squares by 15 squares (20"x30")



I sewed a two inch border around the outside and attached batting to the back. I finished it by simply sewing a brown panel to the back.


Here it is, in my girls room:

No comments: