Saturday, August 15, 2009

My Girls Room- The Bumper

I really disliked any of the patterned fabric I found in ink and brown, so when it was time to make the bumper for my little girls room, I decided to make my own little pattern.
Based on the height and length of the crib bumper I decided to make a pattern that measured about 7"x7".
Once I drew out the picture how I wanted it I traced over it with a marker.


Then I used a craft knife to cut out the pattern.


and I traced it onto my fabric.


I then used embroidery floss to fill in the pattern, pink for the flowers, and green for the stems.
I was a little bit overwhelmed by the idea of doing embroidery, but it turns out that it's not very hard at all, a little time consuming, but even that wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be.

I filled in the flowers with solid pink, but when I made the stems with green I decided to just use dashes, so they were less prominent.
I added batting to the back of this fabric, sewed on the back, and then finished the top edge with pink bias tape. I used the same bias tape to make the ties for the bumper.


Here's the finished product along with the rest of the bedding I made:

1 comment:

Mary said...

That's going to be a really cute room. Love the brown and pink together.

~Mary